Tuesday, October 2, 2007

drishti attack!

It's been quite a while since I posted, the major reason for this being that I have been suffering from a major case of the evil eye. This resulted in my computer being destroyed last week. (I will explain later how exactly it was destroyed. And by later I mean when the computer is safely back in my hands and there is no risk of me being charged for anything). The next morning after the computer was destroyed my friends explained to me that this was a clear case of amma kan ("mother's eye"), an incredibly dangerous kind of drishti which involves someone putting the evil eye on their own property. You see, just a few days before my computer was destroyed I was admiring it, saying to myself "Wow, this computer is really working well after three years. There are so few scratches on it, and it looks great!" ETC ETC. So what happened next? It was destroyed. Clear cut case of the evil eye, folks.

Fortunately there is an antidote to the evil eye destroying one's computer and in this case that remedy is a valid international warranty. Because there isn't one single person in Madurai who can fix Mac laptops, I had to get on a train to Chennai and go to the one Apple service center there. They diagnosed a hard disk problem and agreed that the cause was amma kan. Apparently evil eye is covered under the Apple warranty, in India at least. Thank God this happened to be here and not the US, otherwise I'd be paying for a new hard disk. Hopefully by Saturday I will be back on a train to Chennai to pick up my computer.

In order to avoid putting amma kan on your computer I recommend repeating to yourself, "My computer sucks, my computer sucks." If you have a PC (especially a Compaq), this mantra will no doubt come easily to you.

No comments: